Friday, June 02, 2006

What do voters want?

Gillian is presenting the survey results. Indicative data not representative. Sample size is 985 persons.

Good set of questions being asked in the Q&A. Of them, a question about how many people did not/declined to participate in the survey was asked. According to the survey company, 70% declined. Apparently this is not entirely surprising as indicated because there seems to be a common underlying drop out rate from surveys.

This itself is interesting though. How many times when approached by survey folks outside MRT stations, did you just say no. I know I do it regularly. It is annoying and I cannot remember when it was that I last obliged with a response.

Having said that, it is probably likely that this survey - a phone survey - would have been something I would have participated in given that the topic would be of interest to me.

The person whose company did the survey said that although the turn down rate was 7 out of 10, the 30% that did agree inevitably had a lot to say. The 20 minutes which the survey was supposed to last, went on to 25, 30 minutes as the people just wanted to talk and talk.

I think this survey is interesting and is long overdue. We need to do this on a regular basis, both pre and post election. I know the ruling party does not like opinion polls done in the usual way and I think the blogging community should rise up to this and try to figure out how to do this reliably. We need baselines to do honest analysis. Somehow, the ruling party has missed the boat on this regard - and it would apprear that they still have no clue, probably being held back by Lee Sr.

No comments: